.
So, I decided to do it myself. Check out dehydrate2store.com. That woman has a great website and lots of videos. Kroger's has their frozen vegetables on sale so I loaded up. (oh yeah, you can dehydrate fresh or frozen).
Yes, it does look like little shriveled pieces of .....stuff. But add boiling water and let it sit for 20 minutes and they rehydrate right back to their original size - I tested it.
This is a quart jar which holds 4 cups of dehydrated veggies. Next step is to vacuum seal - well, the jar is heavy! If hurricane flood waters are coming and you want to leave with food, wouldn't you rather carry a bag instead of a jar??
A quick run through the vacuum sealer. Don't forget to add an oxygen absorber in the bag. You can buy them online.
There you are - 4 cups vacuum sealed that takes up the space of one bag of frozen vegetables. Next week I'll cook chicken pot pie and let you know how that works out.
You didn't think I was going to stop with just one example, did you? Oh no, no, no! I've done green beans, peas, corn, carrots, sweet potatoes and banana chips. Each of the bags in the picture above contains 7 1/2 cups of frozen veggies dehydrated down to 4 cups. My poor dehydrator is running 24 hours a day.






I thought of you when I saw the hurricane footage. I was like, "Man I bet my mom is sad she is missing out on this. She would get to prove me wrong with her crazy food storage."
ReplyDelete