Tuesday, October 30, 2012

I finally made round soap!  I've been making square soap for years but that round soap I see in the stores is just so cute!  I have to admit, it's taken me about 2 years just to decide how to make a round mold.  I've read all the soap sites - seen all their suggestions on what to use - but nothing ever made me say YES!  that's it.  So, I'll get to my mold decision in a minute.

Here's a picture of the two kinds of soap I made:  Peppermint Oatmeal and Lavender Rosemary.  It actually came out round - I was so surprised it actually worked. 

If you are interested in making your own soap - here's a tip: make sure you stir well after adding the color or else you get big white spots.  But, look at it this way, once you get in the shower without your glasses - you won't be able to see the white spots at all.

Well, here's the mold picture I saw and decided I could do this.  Of course, I'm not going to pay the prices they want on-line, so I got Mike to take me to Home Depot.  PVC pipe:  got it! 

Oh yeah, NAILED IT!  You can hardly tell them apart, right?  I know, the awesomeness of my home-made molds is taking your breath away.  So, let me walk you through this and you can make your own soap molds.  You need a bottom cap on the PVC pipe, but all Home Depot had was a rounded one.  That makes it kinda hard to stand up straight.  So, I pulled out a round Tupperware lid and it fit perfectly. I was afraid the hot soap would leak out the bottom, so I used a little duct tape to hold the lids on. Now this is the important part - you need a Teflon cookie sheet to roll up and stick down in the PVC pipe or your soap will NOT come out. If you forget the Teflon sheet, just throw the whole thing in the trash.
After 24 hours, just pull the Teflon cookie sheet right out and there it is - a huge log of soap.  Looks good enough to eat! (this would make a really cool Jell-O mold at Christmas)

No comments:

Post a Comment