I have this garden out in the yard. It's a 16 x 16 plot that's fenced in to keep the deer from totally destroying everything in it. We spend hours - days - every spring getting everything tilled, planted, weeded, fertilized, you name it. Then there was this drought last year, and a heat wave, and I got a total of zip out of that garden. So this year, I dug it out and planted an herb garden. Oh yeah, much easier - it's very low maintenance. We have regular Basil, Thai Basil, Cilantro, Parsley, Thyme, Oregano, Sage, Dill, Stevia, Rosemary and Mint. Now if you can't cook with that, you need to stay out of the kitchen!
You can get a lot of herbs out of one plant. Take cuttings every couple of weeks to keep the plant pruned and it will become a bushier (is that a word?) healthy plant. That brings me back to my best friend - the dehydrator. Wash your cuttings very well to remove all dirt and pat them dry.
Place your herbs in the dehydrator trays, turn in on the low setting, 95 degrees, and go to bed.
The next morning, your herbs are dehydrated. If they're not absolutely dry, turn the dehydrator back on for a couple of hours. Place each herb in a labeled jar and use when you need them. Just a hint to help you out: when you open the dehydrator in the morning, all the herbs look the same - all dry and shriveled up. Until you learn what they look like all dried and crispy, put some sort of label on the trays. Or, you could just take a bite from each one - but keep a glass of water handy! You'll get enough herbs to last you all year.
I've read that you just put the herbs in the food processor, turn it on, and it chops the herbs perfectly. I tried that in my little food processor and the herbs just spun in a circle and nothing got chopped. I haven't tried it in my big food processor - because it just ticked me off that the little one didn't work. Oh well, maybe I'll just buy one of those mortar and pestle things and crush them. It'll be like therapy.
No comments:
Post a Comment