Monday, December 3, 2012

I have been such a slacker!  I have so much to tell you but I've had this allergy attack for two weeks and just didn't have the energy.  Anyway, today I want to make a tribute to my awesome turkey frying Dad.  He fries our turkey every year at the Hostage Thanksgiving.  And - he has never made the car explode or burned down the garage or house - like you see on TV.

So, what's a Hostage Thanksgiving?  It's at my Mom's house every Thanksgiving.  We all show up and have to decorate her house for Christmas before she'll serve Thanksgiving dinner.  My mother has strict requirements:  put up the 15 foot tree (that comes in 5 different pieces), put on the lights and decorations, put the garland on the banister, garland and lights on the outside of the house, and on and on and on.  Everyone knows their place and what to work on.  It totally works.

Anyway, for all you turkey-frying wanna be's, pay attention to the master:
First, season, season, season the completely thawed turkey.
Place your fryer in a safe area without clutter, or exploding chemicals or small children. 
 Place the turkey in the drop pan.
 Wearing long sleeves and leather gloves (hot oil) slowly lower the drop pan into the hot oil.
Slowly, I said!
 After the correct amount of time in the fryer, lift the frying pan out of the oil.  Slowly, while you let the oil drain out.
 Place pan on folded newspaper for a few minutes to let oil drain before you remove the turkey.
 Ta daa!!  Isn't that gorgeous?  I have one request for next year.  Can we remove that turkey butt thing before we plate the turkey?
Another great family gathering at Thanksgiving.  We had a great time and the food was fantastic.  Lots of dominoes and double solitare competition.  Hey, my Mom gives away cash prizes to the winners!  It's become really cut-throat.  If you can't take a beating in dominoes, don't play!

No comments:

Post a Comment