Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Mowing again.  Our pasture is full of bahia and coastal grass.  Years ago, they ran cattle on our property and this stuff just grows forever.  We had the field cleared with a bulldozer and the next spring, the grass was back.  We didn't even have to water!  Anyway, to show my ignorance, I thought you only found bahia in pastures.  So after mowing the "goat farm", we drive up in our driveway, and I notice something familiar growing in the ditch out front of our house.  That's right, it's packed with bahia.  It's that weed looking plant that sticks up above all the other grass, and it's seed pods grow in a "V" shape.
 I mowed the front of the "goat farm" property with a riding mower, so I could cut close around the pecan trees, fig trees, orchard and grape vines.   Did you know that when the mower deck hits the bahia seed pods, there's a puff of pollen that shoots into the air, then all the seeds follow.  Me and my mower (that's my good English -  my mom the English teacher loves it when I use incorrect grammar) were covered in seeds by the time I got through mowing.  They were about an inch thick on the deck of the mower.  Now I see why you can never get ride of the stuff.  It truly suffers from over-fertilization!
 We also had the Groveton Mill Supply come out and fertilize and kill weeds.  Technically, bahia is a grass and not a weed.  HA!  You try to pull it up by the roots - they go all the way to China.  The picture below is a true weed.  It's called bitterweed.  I don't know if that's an official name, but that's what the old guys call it.  If your cow eats bitterweed, then her milk turns bitter and you can't drink it.  I guess the weed doesn't taste bitter, because they really like the stuff!
 On the bright side, some weeds make beautiful flowers.  Here's one that I couldn't get any closer to because a bug flew out at me and I had to run off.  
I saw a beautiful lonely bluebonnet last month right before I ran over it.  It was an ACCIDENT.  I was on top of it before I could stop.  I cried for an hour........ really.  Please don't let me go to jail.

No comments:

Post a Comment