I read in the ‘The Backwoodsman’ magazine that folks in the old
days made bannocks. That’s a quick bread
that you make over a campstove and either bake or fry in a cast iron
skillet. Every article says it’s the
best bread they’ve ever had! So, I
thought I should learn to make it in case the world comes to an end and I need
to eat scraps from my pantry.
That stuff tastes like hard no-flavor biscuits. I tried it a couple of times and it never got
any better. I actually felt guilty
feeding it to Mike for dinner. So, my
next plan was to find a bread recipe that was quick and easy and you could
actually eat it with a smile on your face.
I kept thinking about the cherry/chocolate boule bread I bought at Hubble & Hudson in The
Woodlands. The kind of bread you wanted
to lick before you ate it.
My solution? You
Tube. I have learned so many things on
You Tube – but that’s another story! I
looked up boule bread recipes and found a great one called “Artisan Bread
Master Boule Recipe – Part 1 & 2”.
There are only 4 ingredients:
water, yeast, salt and flour. I like simple.
I mixed the ingredients according to the directions but with
the last cup of flour, I added a cup of chopped dried dark cherries and a cup
of mini milk chocolate chips. Yummm. You’re supposed to let the dough sit in the
refrigerator over-night before you bake the bread – not gonna happen. Mike and I pulled out a fourth of the dough
and let it rise for an hour then we baked it.
He wanted to eat it the second it came out of the oven, but I convinced
him to wait 20 minutes so it could breathe.
Ha! I was really praying that it
would taste really really good and not like that nasty bannock dried up no
flavor biscuit thing.
Not able to put him off any longer, we sliced it up (of
course we put lots of butter on it) and took a bite. Awesome!!
My only change would be to add more cherries and chocolate. I wonder if you could stuff it till it looked
like fruit cake? Too much? Mike wants walnuts in it next time. Maybe next, next time. Next time, I’m going to try apricot and white
chocolate.
But first, we have to eat the other 3 loaves waiting to be
baked. That recipe makes a lot of
bread! Eating half a loaf of bread a day
is a bad idea. I better go buy some
bigger pants this afternoon because this is not going to be pretty.
No comments:
Post a Comment