Friday, September 21, 2012

Last post about Alaska!  We are having a blast.  I think I could live on a ship...maybe.  

Our second stop was in Juneau where we went whale watching.  Well, first of all, they put about 100 people on this boat which is WAY too many people.  We were looking for Humpback whales and found a couple.  They travel alone, not in pods, so if you see one - that's probably it.  The captain spotted one out front of the boat, so everyone ran to the front of the boat - who can see over that?  I got a picture of a spot in the water, but I won't bore you with that.  Then, we spotted Orca whales and there were several playing around the boat (because they travel as a family in pods).  But once again, I was trying to take pictures around 100 people.  Here's a picture of one slapping his tail in the water.  Yep, that's as good as it got.
If you've been to Sea World, you've seen Orca whales.  The huge black and white ones?  With the teeth?  Maybe the cold water in Alaska shrunk them, because these Orca's were small, like a big dolphin.  What???  Where were the huge Sea World whales?  It was like visiting a baby nursery for whales.  Oh well.   I dreamed that night about killer whales jumping over the road from one side to the other.  Back and forth.  I don't really know what that means...

Next stop was Skagway - where we went zip lining.  I don't even jump off the high board at the pool -what was I thinking?  It was only 85 feet in the air, which was about 83 feet too high.
Here's Mike going from one platform to another.  Every picture of me shows me gripping the harness in a death grip with both hands -I did not let go.  Every one else with the group let go with both hands, jumped off backwards, spun in a circle...you know, no fear....  I had enough fear for everybody there.  Especially after this:
Yep, he's stuck.  Poor guy's rollers (whatever it's called) got off track and he stopped half way between platforms.  The guy in the yellow hard hat came from the other side to try and untangle him.  Then the girl from our platform had to swing out and bring a knife.  Like I said... 83 feet too high.

No comments:

Post a Comment